Animal Companion...

When I was in school, my uncle brought home two dalmatian puppies. They were so cute. It was the first time I wished if I had a pet. Even though they stayed with him, I remember the way they grew up to be the proud parents of over a dozen puppies. Since he was out for job most of the time, my grandparents look after them. My sister, cousins and me enjoyed being with them during vacations. After so many years, one day morning we came to know that they are being sold to some one else. I dont remember exactly how old I was, but that day I will never forget. There was a jeep waiting to take them and the male one kept running away. He didnt want to go and we didnt want to let them go. We were kids and all I could do was sit inside the room, staring at them thru the window and let them go as they tried to wriggle free from the chain which snatched them away from the place where they grew up. That day i decided I would never ever have a pet. The pain of losing them was that deep.

Years later one evening I was standing behind the door of the room, staring at a grey fur coat which was sitting on the bed, his yellow eyes looking at me all scared. Truth was I was also little apprehensive, my second encounter with an animal companion and this time also it was not mine; Ginger, my friend's persian cat. He was just two months old and after 2 days she shifted with him to her place. I got to see him then and there, but our meetings were limited to few minutes. And then due to some other issues, she shifted to my apartment, obviously with him. And then our aquaintance slowly gave way to kinship. I dont know how and when he became and integral part of my life. I realized it when we had to give him for pet care since we were not at home. But then, the thought of meeting him again after a month was enough to get me going. My friend got married and had to shift to Mumbai. They left him with me till they got settled there. 22 days- he was all mine. He made me feel special by being with me all the time when I was there, kneading with his paws, sleeping beside me resting his head on my lap and rubbing his nose against mine. And then he left to Mumbai, triggering those emotions again. Even though I miss him a lot, I am happy that he is where he truly belongs to.
 
Luv
SS

Comments

Anonymous said…
I’m not that much of a internet reader to
be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later on. Cheers

My website: Cafe San Diego

Popular Posts