What is your dream?

I attended a session today..one of the women's initiatives in my company and there we were asked this question - WHAT IS YOUR DREAM? Everyone has dreams and to whoever asked me that question, my immediate answer was "to write and publish a book and then quit this job". But today, for the first time it did not come into my mind. For a matter of fact nothing came into my mind at that point. People started telling their dreams.. someone wants to buy a Eco-friendly house, someone else wanted to go to Alaska and see the whales and it went on. Some were material dreams while some were emotional. Then I started pondering about my dream and it dawned on me that I want to do something for the people who are in need. I realized this thought comes to me whenever I see a movie, read or see something which has messages on the same line and after sometime I forget about it or delay it for future. Now also I don't know if I will be able to actually do something. I have seen people donating money to charity and claiming that they have done their part in giving back to the community of which they are part of. I am not telling that is bad, but I somehow dont get the satisfaction that I have done something if I am just paying the money. The people out there in need of help definitely need money, but they need our presence more. Those kids will remember who played with them, who fed them and not the ones who paid for their toys or food. In most of the cases, they dont even meet those people who gave the donation. I haven't done much to serve the community apart from 1 or 2 instances. Even though I want to and I brush it aside telling I still have time for that. Let me settle in my life and I will have enough time to do all these. But then it becomes something in your to-do list and not in your wish-list. I think today was an eye opener in a way that I started seriously thinking about these things. and I hope I will not leave those thoughts as I always did, instead take it along with me and put it into action.

Comments

Popular Posts